(Wow I just can't believe I'm doing this during SAISA, in Dhaka- lol!)
Well, the title strikes me first- "The Psychology of the Novel". And the text basically has some points that relate to the topic I am learning now in psychology such as reason versus emotion, sensation and perception. I agree that "The basic substance of imaginative literature is not reason but emotion". Any writer who composes his/her novel should be spontaneous- it should result from his/her natural impulse. If reason is what the author uses during his/her writing for the majority of time, then he/she is an amateur (at least that is what I believe).
When a reader journeys through a novel, he/she must understand that it is not "words" that exist in the book but it is "images with feelings attached" that help the reader with the journey. How boring would it be if one reads just "words" in a story? I'm sure it would be more exciting if one reads "connotations" and "colours" of words employed by author. Also, when we talk about images used constantly throughout the novel, they are not for one reader. The images that the responder perceives are open to interpretation. There are many different images for many different readers in a novel. The reason is that one's way of comprehending a stimulus is no same to another's because we are all different.
One of the crucial elements according to this author is "the qualities of the voice". The voice is present at all times- happy, aloof, friendly, sarcastic, charming and angry. If the reader likes the voice, he/she is more likely to concentrate on the character, theme, scenes and etc. Voice is what establishes initial impressions among responder. It draws, attracts, and builds trust among readers.
No comments:
Post a Comment