To clarify with my heading for this blog, "The Road which we have walked on fastly and furiously", I chose to title it this way because we spent so little time on discussing on this text yet with the aid of Ms Morgan's thorough explication, I am content that this text is another option for my end of semester Individual Oral Presentation.
I found this novel more interesting than other two dystopian novels I read this semester. Unlike 1984, and The Handmaid's Tale, it is set in a "post"-apocalyptic world after the nuclear war in which the dad and the son are the only ones remaining, and has a relatively happy ending. Moreover, the way McCarthy's employs linguistic devices throughout the novel is fascinating:
In The Road, imageries are constantly used in depicting human's regression to a primeval state. Does it not contrast to the notions in We where humans dilapidate to a mechanical state. In other words, people in The Road turn to animals while people in We turn to machines. The fact that these two texts portray the two extremes of human's failing state, I can possibly incorporate this into my presentation.
Similar to We, The Road has a dark, cold, uncanny setting. Even if the responder is implied that there is sunset in the morning, the composer never happens to mention it, "with the first gray light he rose and left the boy sleeping and walked out to the road and squatted and studied the country to the south ... when it was light engouh to use the binoculars he glassed the valley below".
I also noticed how McCarthy does not stick to standard English when using abbreviations- he simply does not include apostrophes. More specifically, I discovered that they are only evident in negative words such as "hadnt", "didnt" and "couldnt". The reason may be that by not sticking to conventional English, he can insinuate or reflect how dyscivilised the society is and how the apocalyptic world has affected him.
Furthermore, McCarthy includes no chapters in the book. It is to suggest that there is no real structure in the society he lives in; there is no rest- the journey is endless.
The style of narration further reflects his state of mind. The use of free indirect style to provide is viewpoint is interesting. By somewhat combining the characteristics of third person with first person, it shows his complicated state of mind. Moreover, through the free indirect narration style, audience sees the stream of consciousness and notice his break of thoughts and actions.
Jack, I respect that you found the novel interesting as it is a well-written book, but how could you not be thrown off by the overall morbidity? I understand you say that through McCarthy's "unconventional english" you were captivated. I always respect a different comment. When lots of people are saying the book was dark, you focus on the interesting structure. I respect that. And i can agree that the lack of chapters definitely illuminates the motif of the road, the endless, dark, but safe, road. One continuous path to some place you don't know until you've reached there. So maybe i did find the book as interesting as you did, but am reluctant to have a second read anytime soon.
ReplyDelete-a. Montana s.